ISLAMABAD: Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Shahid Khaqan Abbasi told the Senate on Wednesday that in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa alone the gas theft had caused losses to the tune of Rs6-8 billion.
During the question hour, he said that unaccounted for gas (gas losses in the system) constituted 10 per cent of the total supply though as per international standard it should not be more than 5.5pc.
He said total losses caused by the gas theft and ‘technical losses’ in the country came to around Rs30bn per year.
He said the Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) had launched a campaign against gas theft and detected a number of cases. The cases are at different stages of police investigation or court trial.
The minister said that the Federal Investigation Agency had extended help to the company with the result that a significant number of gas thieves had been apprehended.
He said a project of gas supply to Kot Awan Dakhli Bahi Khan and adjoining villages had been approved by the prime minister on January 2013.
According to an estimate, the 6.6km distribution network would cost Rs11.264 million.
He said the SNGPL had so far allocated Rs10.264m for building the network and 33pc of the work had been completed. The remaining work will be completed before June 30, 2016.
The upper house was informed that federal government departments and private consumers owed over Rs185bn on account of electricity bills.
In a written reply, Minister for Water and Power Khawaja Asif informed the house that over Rs58bn was payable by the federal government and over Rs127bn by private consumers.
Courtesy : Dawn News