Thousands of civilians were under siege Saturday in an Islamic State group stronghold surrounded by US-backed forces in northern Syria, as the jihadists claimed deadly attacks on a Damascus shrine.
IS has fought back with deadly bombings despite being pressed on several fronts since it declared a “caliphate” in Syria and Iraq in 2014.
The Syrian Democratic Forces alliance supported by US air strikes encircled the town of Manbij on Friday, cutting the group´s main supply line between
Turkey and its de facto Syrian capital of Raqa. Manbij lies at the heart of the last stretch of IS-controlled territory along Turkey´s border, and was a key point on the jihadists´ supply route.
“Tens of thousands of civilians still there can´t leave as all the routes out of town are cut,” the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor´s head Rami Abdel Rahman said.
He said at least 193 IS fighters and 22 SDF troops had been killed as well as 37 civilians, most of the last group in coalition air raids, since the alliance offensive against Manbij began on May 31.
“Bakeries in the town haven´t been open since Friday and food is beginning to become rare,” Abdel Rahman said.
Courtesy : TheNews