Wednesday , 20 September 2017
Home / National News / Garbage disposal work halted in protest against privatisation

Garbage disposal work halted in protest against privatisation

KARACHI: A large number of workers of civic agencies did not collect and dispose of garbage from various areas of the city on Tuesday in protest against the government’s plan to hand over the garbage collection work to a Chinese company.

The call for not collecting garbage in the city was given by the local government anti-privatisation committee in protest against the plan of the Sindh Solid Waste Management Board to hand over the garbage collection work to a private party.

The protesting workers also organised rallies at different places in which they chanted slogans against the privatisation of the solid waste collection wok.

Speaking at the central rally organised at the Jamshed zone office off Sharea Faisal, LGPAC leader Zulfiqar Shah said that the workers by responding to the protest call given by the committee and by not collecting the garbage had shown that they had rejected the government privatisation plan.

He said that workers would not allow the government to hand over the garbage collection work to private parties.

In the past five such experiments had been done but all had failed, but it seemed that the government did not want to learn from its past mistakes, he added.

He said that LGPAC leaders, including Kaneez Fatima and others, would speak at a press conference on Wednesday and would announce the future strategy regarding the workers’ protest against privatisation, which would continue till the government abandoned its privatisation scheme.

Courtesy : Dawn News

Comments

comments

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons