RAWALPINDI / NEW DELHI: Indian forces once again violated the ceasefire along the Line of Control on Wednesday, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.
“Indian troops resorted to unprovoked heavy artillery shelling in the Shahkot and Jura sectors of the Neelam Valley,” the military’s media wing said in a statement. According to ISPR, this was the first time Indian forces used heavy artillery in the current phase of escalation.
Indian troops also resorted to unprovoked mortar shelling in the Kel sector, ISPR said, adding that Pakistani forces were responding by targeting Indian military posts.
Woman, daughter killed in cross-LoC firing
No loss of life has so far been reported, but ISPR said the Indian troops were specifically targeting the civilian population. The exchange of fire continued till the filing of this report.
The Indian army, meanwhile, claimed three of its soldiers were killed in the cross-LoC firing. “One Indian soldier died after coming under Pakistani sniper fire on Wednesday in Machhal sector,” Indian army spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia told AFP.
Col Kalia also claimed Indian troops had gunned down two suspected militants in a firefight in the Sopore area of Indian Occupied Kashmir.
Pakistan ‘befittingly’ responds to Indian firing along LoC
India’s Ministry of External Affairs also summoned Pakistan’s deputy high commissioner on Wednesday, conveying to him Delhi’s ‘strong concern over continued violation of ceasefire along the International Border and LoC’ by Pakistan.
Courtesy : Express Tribune