Sunday , 20 August 2017
Home / National News / Sharjeel forfeits Rs1.5m surety on SHC order

Sharjeel forfeits Rs1.5m surety on SHC order

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has ordered forfeiture of 50 per cent of surety amount Rs1.5 million deposited for the protective bail of former minister Sharjeel Inam Memon “to discourage him and others from misusing the extraordinary relief of protective bail”.

A two-judge bench on Friday also extended his protective bail to Dec 26, but enhanced the surety amount to Rs4 million.

His counsel, Advocate Faiz H. Shah, sought extension of protective bail from Dec 1 to Dec 26, submitting that his client was anxious to surrender before the trial court, but due to his medical condition he was unable to return to the country.

He said that Mr Memon was suffering from very serious ailments and he could not immediately come to the country as he had several medical appointments.

The special prosecutor for the National Accountability Bureau, however, opposed the extension of the protective bail contending that the petitioner had already been on bail for a considerable time.

The prosecutor also referred to the court’s earlier order of Nov 14 and said that it specifically mentioned that no further extension would be allowed in future.

The bench, however, extended the protective bail when the NAB prosecutor said that his absence for a short period was unlikely to prolong the framing of the charge because there were other absconders in the case.

The bench observed: “We consider that in the interest of justice that a fair balance would be to forfeited 50 per cent of the petitioner’s surety amount of Rs3 million to discourage both him and other from misusing the extraordinary relief of protective bail which has been extended to him on a number of occasion, but extend his protective bail until 26-12-2016”.

The bench further ordered that the former provincial information minister would automatically forfeit the additional fresh surety amount of Rs4 million, if he failed to surrender before the trial court within the stipulated period.

The bench further ordered: “It is made clear that no further extension shall be allowed in future unless exceptional circumstances are made out.”

Sharjeel Inam Memon, former provincial information minister in self-exile, was granted pre-arrest bail by the Sindh High Court in a case pertaining to illegal allotment and adjustment of land in 43 Dehs.

Mr Memon, who is living in self-exile in London, moved the court through his counsel seeking pre-arrest bail in connection with an investigation launched by the NAB into illegal allotment and adjustment of land in 43 Dehs of Malir in favour of Bahria Town.

His counsel submitted that the NAB had issued a call-up notice to his client on Oct 18, asking him to appear before it in connection with the investigation into the state land matter.

He said that Mr Memon wanted to appear before it and face the investigation but he was apprehensive about his unlawful arrest.

The counsel submitted that Mr Memon intended to surrender before the trial court but he was apprehensive of his arrest in the NAB reference.

courtesy : dawn news

Comments

comments

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons